Thursday, August 07, 2008

Selma by Jutta Bauer






Book Review by Zinta Aistars











Reading level: Ages 4-8
Hardcover: 51 pages
Publisher: Kane/Miller Book Pub, 2003
Price: $7.95

ISBN-10: 1929132506
ISBN-13: 978-1929132508



After having dinner with a new friend and venting a bit of our commonalities in various daily life (not untypical) frustrations, my pal dropped by my office this morning with a small, not so small, gift: Selma by Jutta Bauer. Oh, how we waxed philosophical over dinner! Solving world problems, defining the meaning of life, discussing the pursuit of happiness! But I took a coffee break at my desk upon receiving this gift and in a few minutes, read the 51 pages of this children’s book (of all ages) by a prolific German author in juvenile literature. And there—all problems solved. Wasn’t that easy? Selma the sheep in a few, simple words, with a bit of repetition for those of us who can be a little dense, conveys how to live a happy life. No, I will not convey her sheepish secret here.

With some online searching to discover more about this wise sheep and her wise creator, I discovered that another version of this book is titled, Ewe Too Can Be Happy, with apparently no difference in storyline from this title. Selma’s lesson, overall, however, is one of simplicity, so I opt for the original, less cutesy title.

No comments: